Re: Ettiquette and rules regarding Hijacked ASN's or IP space?

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Jun 09 14:59:19 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:06:50PM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> RIPE at least uses a hierarchical authorisation scheme which means you
> cannot register routes to an ASN and prefix you dont have authorisation
> on, where authorisation on those blocks is passed down from supernets
> and superblocks ultimately controlled by RIPE.
>
> This means for me to add a route I effectively have proof from my
> authorisation being granted by RIPE that this is mine to play with.

Speaking as someone who is extremely annoyed by providers/peers/etc proxy
registering IRR routes, I think a system which locks down registrations
within specific prefixes to a specific maintainer, and an approval system
for people who want to register blocks within your space, would be
insanely useful. Someone please implement this for us US folks using irrd.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras