Re: NAT for an ISP

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Wed Jun 04 16:13:26 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:51:51PM -0700, Christopher J. Wolff quacked:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if any service providers have built their access
> networks out using private IP space.  It certainly would benefit the
> global IP pool but it may adversely affect users with special
> applications.  At any rate, it sounds like good fodder for a debate.

  I've got a friend who puts all of his internal servers,
routers, and _customers_ on RFC1918 space and pipes them out
thrugh a PNAT.  Fairly small ISP - maybe 15 megabits of bandwidth -
operating at the state local level.

It's an interesting setup.  Kind of fun.  The stateful pnat
functionality forces customers to specify exactly what inbound
services they want, which can't hurt security.  Every customer
gets a /24 or greater, which helps convenience.  On the other
hand, everyone has a NAT in front of them, which means that
they get clients who would have probably been putting a NAT
in front of themselves anyway.  I probably wouldn't use that
setup myself, but then again, I subscribe to nanog...

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/