Re: Syn Flood

  • From: Michael Painter
  • Date: Wed Mar 26 00:24:03 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Bird" <seabird@msn.com>
To: <nanog@merit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 5:55 PM
Subject: Syn Flood

> I have a problem on a home PC of all things. Every once in a while it
> bursts into life and syn floods an IP address on port 80. The IP
> addresses it chooses are random and varied. The network counters ratchet
> up alarmingly (as viewed in the connections window). I am running winXP
> Pro on this box.

You might want to let a prog. such as TCP View (free) run while you're idle.  Beats trying to get netstat to capture it, imo.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

Also, close everything you can and look at what Processes are running.  Some of these things are hard to spot...I was infected and
the offender was named "Iexplorer.exe", while the real IE is named IEXPLORE.exe and the real Explorer is named Explorer.exe.

Here's another free prog. which aids in tying a process to what's running it.

http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm

These "trojans" don't seem to be caught by some Anti-Virus programs...at least AVG didn't catch mine.  I ended up searching google
for Iexplorer.exe and found (5 pages deep a year ago) an obscure thread which had part of the solution for removal.  I then searched
the HD for any files created at the same time and found the rest of the (by then morphed) creature.

Good luck.

--Michael