Re: anti-spam vs network abuse

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Feb 28 12:58:48 2003

> > For the past 15 months, NJABL has reactively tested systems that have
> > connected to participating SMTP servers to see if those systems are open
> > relays. ...
> >
> > We do not consider what NJABL does abuse, ...

Jon,

If "they" are indeed only testing systems who connect to them, it's not
abuse, and I would not have complained.  However, they scanned every
address in every netblock I own, looking for SMTP servers.  That was
abuse, that was illegal in California, and I was shocked that you "allowed"
"them" to behave that way.  Hopefully my inference is correct and "they"
are now scanning only the hosts which connect to participating SMTP servers.

Paul