RIPE NCC network affected by the DDoS attack (fwd)

  • From: Daniel Diaz
  • Date: Thu Feb 27 13:08:03 2003

------- Forwarded Message

Date:     Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:18:25 +0100
From:     Andrei Robachevsky <andrei@ripe.net>
Sender:   dns-wg-admin@ripe.net
To:       local-ir@ripe.net, db-wg@ripe.net, dns-wg@ripe.net
Subject:  RIPE NCC network affected by the DDoS attack

Dear Colleagues,

Starting from 14:00 UTC today, 27 February, RIPE NCC network suffered a
large DDoS attack. It was a distributed ICMP echo attack.

The attack caused various congestion related problems for the RIPE NCC's
network, to the extent that our BGP peering sessions were affected, and
non-ICMP traffic was being randomly dropped.

The attack was successfully mitigated with cooperation of our peer
networks at AMS-IX. Network condition returned back to normal at 16:30 UTC.

As a result some of our services, including www.ripe.net (web),
whois.ripe.net (RIPE Database), ns.ripe.net (DNS) and ftp.ripe.net (FTP)
were not accessible during this timeframe. Now all services are back to
normal.

Regards,

Andrei Robachevsky
CTO, RIPE NCC