Re: Remote email access

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Feb 05 08:34:53 2003

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:04:08 GMT, Michael.Dillon@radianz.com  said:

> What would be the point? Well, if my MTA receives a connection on port 25
> I could look up the source IP address in the LDAP directory to identify
> the owner. Since an LDAP directory can contain arbitrary information
> related to its entries, perhaps I could find out whether or not that
> source IP is registered as an SMTP server and also retrive the abuse email
> address of the organization who has registered this address.

Somebody (Christian Huietma?) did a survey, and 30% of the sites don't even
have working PTR entries in the DNS.  Why should you expect enough buy-in
on updating LDAP entries to make the query worth trying?

www.rfc-ignorant.org has a very large database of sites that can't even get
things like 'postmaster@' and 'abuse@' *email* addresses correct.

So you end up penalizing sites that don't have a clue, while the clued spammers
will do this:

% ldap add abuse_contact mailbox="abuse@whatever.foo"
% cat > ~abuse/.forward
/dev/null