wrt BofA ATM: is it ATM 'automated' or ATM 'async' ?

  • From: Jeff.Hodges
  • Date: Tue Jan 28 13:54:36 2003

good question. anyone know the answer?

JeffH

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:29:17 -0500
Subject: [IP] is it ATM or ATM  Internet Attack's Disruptions
	More Serious Than Many Thought Possible
From: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

- ------ Forwarded Message
From: David Devereaux-Weber <dave@cable.doit.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:52:19 -0600
To: dave@farber.net
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet Attack's Disruptions More Serious Than Many
Thought Possible

One interesting aspect of the reporting for this event is related to the
acronym ATM.  The University of Wisconsin-Madison uses Asynchronous
Transfer Mode (ATM) for backbone transport.  We further use LAN Emulation
(LANE) on the Asynchronous Transfer Mode backbone (LANE maps IP addresses
to ATM Virtual Circuits and back to IP at the far end).  The LANE BUS
(Broadcast and Unknown Server) on the network was swamped due to the high
volume of SQLSlammer hits on broadcast and unknown addresses, effectively
denying legitimate traffic.  This BUS saturation did not happen with the
Code Red worm several months back.  We spent several hours thinking our ATM
problems were distinct from the SQLSlammer problems.

My question is, has anyone seen source information about the Bank of
America and Automated Teller Machines?  Is it possible that Bank of America
was reporting Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) problems and not Automated
Teller Machine (ATM) problems?

Dave

- --
David Devereaux-Weber, P.E.
Network Services
Division of Information Technology
The University of Wisconsin - Madison
dave@cable.doit.wisc.edu  http://cable.doit.wisc.edu

- ------ End of Forwarded Message

You are subscribed as Jeff.Hodges@stanford.edu
To unsubscribe or update your address, click

------- End of Forwarded Message