Re: Networking in Africa...

  • From: Steven G. Huter
  • Date: Mon Dec 02 14:47:48 2002

> Would that friend be so kind as to name more than a handful places in
> Africa with IP connectivity (multinational companies do not count).

Hi Alex,

Access beyond the capital cities varies, but as several folks have
pointed out, there is IP connectivity to all countries in the region, run
by local ISPs, telcos, and universities, etc. Eritrea was the last
country on the continent to bring up an IP link - in November 2000.
Tunisia was the first to connect to the global Internet in March 1991,
followed by South Africa later that year, etc. A few relatively recent
updates, from engineers we work with in the respective countries...

http://www.nsrc.org/db/lookup/operation=lookup-report/ID=1014648054895:488740490/fromPage=UG

http://www.nsrc.org/db/lookup/operation=lookup-report/ID=1011802447635:489025450/fromPage=CD

http://www.nsrc.org/db/lookup/operation=lookup-report/ID=1007087598617:489022638/fromPage=GN

http://www.nsrc.org/db/lookup/operation=lookup-report/ID=1037285984211:488846420/fromPage=TN