iBGP next hop and multi-access media

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Sun Oct 06 12:44:48 2002

Background:
Router A and B are connected via a common ethernet segment 1. Router A
uses 10.10.10.1/30, and Router B uses 10.10.10.2/30. Router B also has
another subnet configured for ethernet segment 1; 172.16.16.0/24.

When I setup a situation like the above, with Router B advertising the
172.16.16.0/24 to router A, router A sees a next hop of 10.10.10.2.  This
is not good since packets from A going to the 172.16.16 subnet get sent to
Router B, which then ARPs the desitnation, instead of just being ARPed by
router A.

I don't want to turn on ICMP redirects on B since they're insecure and
ugly.  I've also made sure I'm not using next-hop self.  Is there a way to
make this work?

Ralph Doncaster
principal, IStop.com