Re: UUNET is not the Internet (and neither is AOL)

  • From: Tim Thorne
  • Date: Sat Oct 05 08:29:56 2002

Sean Donelan <sean@donelan.com> wrote:

>But cyberspace hasn't gone senile. Those massive e-mail delays, slow
>Internet connections and downed e-businesses were all caused by a software
>upgrade that went horribly wrong at WorldCom's UUNet division, a large
>provider network communications.

After reading all the stories about what supposedly happened does
anyone know what really happened? Did UUNet US really do an IOS
upgrade on a sizable proportion of their border routers in one go?
This seems like suicide to me. What possible reason could there be for
a network-wide roll out of an untested IOS apart from being in the
mire already?

Tim