RE: redistribute bgp considered harmful

  • From: Andrew.McConnell
  • Date: Fri Oct 04 18:26:33 2002

Let's not forget about the use of VRF's.  BGP is not used exclusively for
sending public routes in our network.  Just a thought.

--
Andrew McConnell
Network Implementation Engineer

                      Charles Youse
                      <cyouse@register.        To:       'Sean Donelan' <sean@donelan.com>, nanog@merit.edu
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: redistribute bgp considered harmful
                      owner-nanog@merit
                      .edu

                      10/04/2002 06:09
                      PM

I've never subscribed to the "Are you sure?" concept, or preventing
problems
by removing functionality, effectively tying an operator's hands behind
his/her back.  The fact is that redistributing BGP into an IGP can have its
uses (though not usually, okay, never, when carrying a full table on the
public Internet) and I'd hate to see the messy workarounds that would come
about, when the solution could otherwise be straightforward.

My Windows workstation asks me "Are you sure?" all the time.  Just
annoying,
really.

C.