Re: selective prepends...one more time

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Mon Sep 30 17:50:10 2002

LB> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:09:45 -0400
LB> From: Leo Bicknell

LB> I'd like to ask a slightly different question.  At the
LB> providers who do support this feature, how many of your
LB> customers actually use it?

This is a bit like asking "how many of your customers use BGP?"

LB> The last time I asked a couple of people this question in
LB> private the answer was generally a number of customers that
LB> could be counted on one hand, even at some quite large
LB> providers.

It seems most providers don't bother tuning routes unless there's
congestion.  i.e., proactive attempts to find lower-latency paths
are rare.

It also seems the people who use selective prepends really like
them.  I give stronger recommendations for providers who offer
selective prepends... it appears people generally are oblivious
to its existence, but become intrigued when they learn of it.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national