Re: AP IX locations

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Thu Sep 26 11:36:52 2002

On 9/26/02 2:28 AM, "James Spenceley" <jrs@comindico.com.au> wrote:
> |I'm looking to improve my connectivity into the AP region, in
> |a cost effective [i.e. for as little as possible :-)]. I have
> |ruled out buying transit as it doesn't help the issue that I'm
> |trying to resolve, so I was wondering if there was a location/IXP
> |in the AP region that would enable me to interconnect with
> |as many AP carriers as possible.
>
> sadly the best spot to interconnect is not in the AP region, its in Palo
> Alto.

Is this really still true?

In Japan there are 4 IXes I'm aware of (JPIX and NSPIXP-2 being the
largest).  In Hong Kong, HKIX is (last I heard) pretty popular.  In Korea,
I'm told there are quite a few Ixes.  There is some intra-Asia meshing going
on (including both carriers as well as efforts like ABONE).  Is it still the
case that to get from (say) Korea to Japan, the best path is through the US?

Rgds,
-drc