Re: Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Sat Sep 21 22:24:25 2002

At 08:46 PM 9/21/2002 -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
Is the Nanog confernce network really insecure for its purpose?
I don't see much of a need to rely on a volunteer network operator to
provide what I think is the appropriate level of security for my
communications.
exactly.

seems like the same situation as we have for walk-by hot-spot wireless nets. is anyone suggesting that they should have some special, local privacy mechanisms, rather than each user relying on providing their own, end-to-end mechanisms?

ICANN had armed guards at its meeting to keep the rif-raff out.
In fact there was a public disclosure of a trivial circumvention of that mechanism.

It was never clear what actual benefit the guards were supposed to provide, either.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850