Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Tue Sep 10 14:50:44 2002

On September 9, 2002 at 14:47 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu) wrote:
 > On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:37:35 PDT, Al Rowland <alan_r1@corp.earthlink.net>  said:
 > > How many (more) protocols are we willing to cripple in the name of
 > > fighting spam?
 >
 > Crippling protocols won't help, in the long run.  What will help is
 > the use of a baseball bat, properly applied. Unfortunately, although
 > it would probably be *cheaper* to hire <insert ethnic organized crime
 > group> to simply whack the cluelessmailers.org list of top 100
 > offenders, network providers fall into two distinct classes:

You've certainly gotten to the heart of the problem, Valdis.

The problem is we're up against a new organized crime on the internet
in the form of scams and spams.

And, although some won't like me saying this, having the technical
community deal with these new criminals is a bit like sending the boy
scouts after Al-Qaida.

Unfortunately it's going to take a much harsher view of reality than
"maybe this regexp will stop crime".

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@TheWorld.com           | http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*