Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Mon Sep 09 13:25:31 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> Looking for automatic off-the-shelf solution.  Not something that requires
> a NOC to constantly update a Cisco ACL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the web (ok, most of it) has been running on
TCP port 80 for quite a while now. So if you limit outgoing TCP packets to
port 80 (and probably some variations, such as HTTP+SSL) to a few kbps,
regardless of their destination, you don't hurt legitimate users except
some very rare cases such as HTTP uploads but you make life less fun for
spammers.