Re: IP address fee??

  • From: Peter van Dijk
  • Date: Mon Sep 09 07:54:54 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:04:08PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
[snip]
> About classfulness: I think it's more relevant, even today, than many
> people like to admit. Why is it that I can type "network 192.0.2.0" in my
> Cisco BGP config and the box knows what I'm talking about, but "network
> 192.0.2.0/24" is no good?

That is because Cisco is quite classful-centric, still. I think
defaults for netmasks, based on classes, are very bad. They cause
trouble (like the time a certain ISP announced 62/8 to all it's peers
on AMS-IX). Cisco should support the /n notation!

Greetz, Peter
--
peter@dataloss.nl  |  http://www.dataloss.nl/  |  Undernet:#clue