RE: IP address fee??

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Fri Sep 06 16:41:12 2002

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:41:07AM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> >
> > I'd bet most of the customers I deal with learned networking from OS
> > manuals or CCNA study books, all of which still teach classful
> > addressing as the primary method.  All of the ones I work with use
the
> > term "C" or "class C" to refer to a /24, and all are noticeably
slower
> > when dealing with non-/24 masks.

Or even better... actual popquiz question*: "What is the subnet mask of
a class E?" ;)
Does anybody know that one ? Without looking into docs that is.

Greets,
 Jeroen

* = Seen in a pre-summer 2002 quiz at a Computer Science education in
The Netherlands...
And no the person teaching it didn't think he needed newer material than
his 1980's sheets.
So nopes, CIDR didn't exist for him and yes it's a false answer to say
"class E is pre-1992, we live in 2002".