classless delegation [was: Re: IP address fee??]

  • From: Peter van Dijk
  • Date: Fri Sep 06 09:23:42 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 09:10:45AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:42:39 +0200, Peter van Dijk <peter@dataloss.nl>  said:
> > That is a common misconception. Recursing resolvers couldn't care less
> > if they are written according to spec (unlike old BIND versions, for
> > example).
>
> Well... way back when (18 months or so)...

I'm not referring to that particular problem, but read on.

> On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 18:11:34 PST, Paul Vixie <vixie@mfnx.net>  said:
> >
> > pi@vuurwerk.nl (Pim van Riezen) writes:
> >
> > > bogosity while updating 8.2.2-P7 to 8.2.3:
> > >
> > > (1) 8.2.3 Doesn't accept the "(" in the SOA string to be on the next line
> > >     after the IN SOA. Our script-generated zonefiles, about 45000 of them,
> > >     all had this.
> >
> > Neither do the relevant RFC's, or any other DNS implementation.  Pre-8.2.3
> > was simply _wrong_ to accept that syntax.
>
> If you want to be the *next* guy who gets bit for 45K zones when the *next*
> next release starts enforcing something that was illegal-but-worked-mostly,
> be my guest....

A fun note is that BIND, in that situation (I worked for Vuurwerk at
that time as well), just put some (high-ascii) garbage in the logfile
and segfaulted, instead of reporting a nice error.

Ofcourse it is also highly broken that the RFC specifies the zonefile
syntax.

[I think we're drifting offtopic here]

Greetz, Peter
--