RE: IP address fee??

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu Sep 05 13:44:41 2002

Title: Message
Shane,

The best practice is to follow the ARIN guidelines. This will make it much easier for you to get your next block of address space. That means:

- Slow start - issue folks what they can justify, not a /24.
- Issue more space upon request, provided that justification is given
- Multihomed customers require no justification for a /24
- Do not issue more than a /21 to a customer. At that point, they can do directly to the RIR.

Charging is up to you - you are really just charging for your own services in administering the address space, and perhaps passing through the cost from ARIN.  Most folks do not charge for IP space, and it's never something I've been personally comfortable with.

- Daniel Golding