RE: AT&T NYC

  • From: alex
  • Date: Tue Sep 03 11:02:35 2002

> Since when is BGP a bug-free protocol? Let's not forget the BGP best
> path selection algorithm itself is broken (there are circumstances under
> which it will NEVER converge on a best path see ietf draft on IDR route
> oscillation). Not to mention the various malformed AS-Path bugs which
> have shown up over the years. I took a vendor class once where they made
> us do a lab where we had to run BGP w/o an IGP, in a later revision of
> the class they removed that lab because they decided it was too much of
> a nightmare even for a lab environment.

BGP is not a bug-free protocol.

BGP is the easiest protocol to *debug* when the problem shows up.

BGP does not help to accidently affect *unaffected* paths when a problem
shows up.

It looks like everyone forgot the reason for this discussion to begin with.
It is the outage caused by a mistake on a single router that affected parts
of the network that were *NOT* affected by the original mess.

Please not that this discussion tends to get restarted whenever we have a
real OSPF (or ISIS) caused mess.

Alex