Broadening the IPv6 discussion

  • From: Irwin Lazar
  • Date: Thu Aug 29 10:50:15 2002

Since we're on the topic of IPv6, I wanted to gauge the current attitude of
the ops. community toward its deployment.  We're seeing a lot more interest
from our enterprise clients in using v6, especially as things like VoIP and
PDAs consume their address pools, and NAT gets in the way of collaborative
apps such as netmeeting and business-to-business connectivity.  However, the
road-block seems to be the lack of ISPs that offer IPv6 services.

Given that places like China & Japan are now mandating IPv6 for their ISPs,
does anyone see anything resembling a growing momentum toward IPv6 adoption,
or is it still a moot issue for you guys?

Irwin