Re: IPv6 Interview Questions and critic

  • From: Peter John Hill
  • Date: Wed Aug 28 11:12:44 2002

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 05:33  PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Kurtis Lindqvist wrote:

<censored> fears abuse as a hardware ID wired into the ipv6 protocol can
be used to determine the manufacturer, make and model number, and value
of the hardware equipment being used by the end user.

...uhm, and? What is the real difference with a IPv4 address and privacy?
The difference is that someone using a dynamic IP address is still
recognizable by the lower 64 bits of their dynamic address because this
part is always the same. (But cookies do the same thing.)
What is interesting is that people can identify a EUI-64 unicast address no matter where you are. For example, i use my laptop at work and at home (assuming I had an ipv6 connection at home). I could be identified as the same computer, without using cookies, since my base 64 address would be the same, despite the network prefix.