RE: Measuring BGP routes

  • From: Frank Scalzo
  • Date: Fri Aug 23 15:52:48 2002

Depends on how much info you want. There is obviously more info in the
network then outside. If you want to look at things in a confederated
environment like how many routes are coming from each confederation, you
need to be in the network. Same thing if you want to do any analysis on
any attribute that doesn't cross an EBGP border. I think ideally it is
preferable to be outside the network so you're not taxing a live box,
but sometimes if you want the purest picture there is a reason to get it
from in the network.

Whether the box is in or out of the network the basic premise is still
the same, get the table out, and parse away.