Re: EPOs in critical facilities

  • From: Richard Welty
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 18:18:38 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:28:48 -0400 (EDT) Sean Donelan <sean@donelan.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Deepak Jain wrote:
> > We have seen disgruntled Union members hit the EPO in data centers in
> > Union-friendly cities.
> >
> > Not pretty outcome, no matter how much redundancy you have.
>
> I believe the Uptime Institute has some statistics showing EPO problems
> are one of the top five reasons for critical facility outages.

i've seen poorly trained, inexperienced electricians hit EPOs for
totally bogus reasons. putting a big red EPO button in front of them is
like dangling a shiney object in front of some people i know.

once at GE R&D, we had an electrician announce that "the room was running
on emergency power", so he had to turn the emergency power off.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net