RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

  • From: Robert Blayzor
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 17:18:48 2002

> Actually, it's swip'ed to me (I work for said ISP), but I also run a
> SMTP server on my laptop which bounces usually between two addresses
> (one at home, one at work), and I suppose that the work address (NOT
> swip'ed) would have a problem under this proposal.

No, it's not a problem.  Your ISP is registered with the registrar.
They can simply list your IP you've been assigned as a valid mail
server.  They then accept responsibility for your mail server
registration.

> I DO understand the reasoning, but it is a **BIG** culture change, and
> would take a year or two or more to implement network wide.

That I would agree.  No disputing that.  But at the same time, everyone
agrees that SOMETHING needs to be done.  Regardless of what is done, it
will be a big change.

> I think $100/year is STEEP, if it is PER SERVER, but per
> COMPANY/INDIVIDUAL it **might** be acceptable.

No, per company.  Not per server.  Per server would be a bit extreme.
Especially for those that have dozens of legit mail servers.  As a
service provider you pay $100 a year for your account, in which you can
manage adding and removing mail server IP addresses from the list.  But
only IP's that are in your SWIP'd space.

> Ideas given this?

Above.  Thanks for your input.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]