RE: your mail

  • From: N. Richard Solis
  • Date: Tue Aug 20 15:11:30 2002

I think that getting caught is a good indication that they take the security
of the facility seriously.  Some places will ban you forever if you violate
their policies.  The mantrap thing is there for a reason.  People are always
free to build out their own spaces however they wish.  If you don't like
their policies, don't colo there.  Build your own.  I like their approach of
controlling access very tightly.  Overkill is definitely better than
underkill.  My experience is that a lot of security measures that appear
ridiculous or redundant actually act as a defense-in-depth strategy.  Their
practice of requiring a guard to leave the control booth to allow someone in
instead of using a buzzer may seem stupid but serves an important but not
entirely well-publicized purpose.