Re: Routing Protocol Security

  • From: senthil ayyasamy
  • Date: Tue Aug 13 16:57:46 2002

> Can any of you cite cases where an attack has been
> carried out against a
> network's routing protocol (BGP or OSPF in
> particular)?
 I heard people talking about a Dos (not DDos) attack
from your neighbor peer router that overflows your
routing table with too much data. I am not aware of
any DDos on routing packets(?).There are chances for
man-in-the-attacks between BGP sessions. The question
is how much the crypto- based security mechanisms like
MD5 helps prevent routing vulnerabilities. But, I
guess misconfiguration can also be considered as a
reason behind many vulnerabilities.