Re: Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Thu Aug 08 12:22:38 2002

Given that your analysis could be used to make decisions about exchange
point architecture, I wonder if you would consider adding RPR IEEE 802.17
into the mix?
While I don't know of anyone using RPR in an exchange point, there
certainly are products on the market and not just Cisco's SRP/DPT. Within
Ebone we were using SRP/DPT rings quite successfully in our PoP
architecture, i.e. it does work in the real world. I know that the
marketing side of RPR is promoting it as a metro area solution, but it
works just as well in a PoP. Given that you are comparing a PoP oriented
technology (Ethernet) with a metro area technology (ATM), I think it makes
sense to take a serious look at a technology that covers both.

--Michael Dillon