Re: NYT: Phone Network Is Vulnerable, Report Finds (fwd)

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Tue Aug 06 22:21:34 2002

At 06:53 PM 8/6/2002 -0400, David Lesher wrote:

Unnamed Administration sources reported that Martin Hannigan said:

> If you get the report, I'd be interested, but they'd have to encase the entire
> country, poles, manholes, generators, central offices, etc into concrete
> and steel to make it secure. With enough knowledge, it's easy, and the
> terrorists aren't all stupid. Mostly.

All Ridge has to do is classify every cable map, LERG, CLLI list,
and telco office guide in the country. Paint all the telco trucks
black, to go with the helicopters. And/or, federalize the whole
beast, like the railroads during WWI.

Right. Which is basically impossible. I think redundancy with improved
security is where they will be best served. There will be no total secureness.

Remember when the FBI Wiretap Act/GAK folks wanted most/all telco
employees to get clearances? This should make that look trivial.
Is "system admin" anyone with root access? We better serial-number
all Linux downloads.

They're off that kick. For now.

Regards,

--