Re[4]: If you have nothing to hide

  • From: Richard Welty
  • Date: Mon Aug 05 19:28:24 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:10:50 -0400 (EDT) John Fraizer <nanog@Overkill.EnterZone.Net> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Richard Welty wrote:
> haven't you ever heard of smurf?

> I wasn't aware the SMURF used source-routing.  It generally simply
> spoofed
> the source address of the packet.  If more ISPs properly filtered on the
> customer edge back then, SMURF wouldn't have been as deadly as it
> was/(is).

my mistake. when smurf was first explained to me lo those many years ago,
the person who explained it (and it's been so long i don't even remember
who that was) claimed it used source routing. i never really questioned
that, but everyone who has corrected me is right -- it doesn't need source
routing to work.

oops,
  richard
--