RE: Sprint peering policy

  • From: Mitchell, Dan
  • Date: Wed Jun 26 13:52:50 2002

Here's what I've "heard" about Sprint and peering...

Sprint's minimum to peer is 6 x OC-12's.  To peer with them, you have to
undergo a 90-day trial period.  At the end of the 90 days, they will
determine whether or not they would like to peer with you.

Here's the catch:  During the 90-day trial period, there is a NON-REFUNDABLE
$125k/port fee (for each OC-12).  So, you're looking at laying out $750k per
month for 3 months, or $2.25 MILLION over the 90-day "trial" period, and
even then, they MIGHT peer with you.

But that's just what I've "heard".

On a side note:  Folks should keep an eye on Allegiance Internet (the folks
I work for).  They picked up the old Digex / Intermedia Business Internet
backbone and are in the process of integrating it (under AS2548).
Financially solid company, very easy to work with, and have some strong
uptimes.  (Plan on seeing an SLA of 99.999%/99.75%/65ms with a guaranteed 15
minute response time for loss of connectivity to customer prem and a
guaranteed 40 business day install).  For peering, I'm pretty sure the
policy is Tier 1 = 4 points OC-3 or better, Tier 2 = 4 points DS-3 or better
(Tier 2 peer pays loop charge if applicable).

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Mitchell
Internet Systems Engineer - Boston