Re: Bet on with my boss

  • From: Jim Hickstein
  • Date: Fri Jun 21 22:20:40 2002

It took her 35 minutes to correct the issue.

That's my "Rule of Nine," to wit: It takes nine times as long over the phone as it does in person. Where "it" consists of fixing something by typing commands.

I fixed a bunch of badly destroyed disk mirrors once, at 3 a.m., with my eyes closed, lying in bed. Took 45 minutes. Would have taken 5 minutes if I were "driving". (But it couldn't reach the machine directly myself, so I stayed in bed and talked someone else through it.)