Clarification needed on ATM

  • From: Rich Sena
  • Date: Thu Jun 06 08:25:38 2002

OK - sorry if this is elementary - however I am dealing with a challenge
to the security of some ATM links that we have connecting remote
facilities to a main campus.  The connections are all PVPs with individual
PVCs defined point to point.  The concern that is being raised is that
although these connections appear point-to-point PVCs to the router
interfaces at our sites and our main campus - they are more than likely
switched SVCs on the provider backbone...

I had thought that a PVC was a nailed up connection between vpi-vci pairs
throughout the provider ATM network - is that an incorrect assumption? And
if so is the scenario that was raised possible/probable and a concern?

Thanks for any info kids...

--
Rich Sena - ras@thick.net
ThickNET Consulting