Re: CEOlink

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu Mar 14 16:19:09 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, mike harrison wrote:

> > In theory, news would be more rebust than mail, because of its distributed
> > nature and it should be possible to make news work without relying on the
> > DNS.

> Many of us do not run news servers, and you have to 'login' to access it.

Obviously it's not a good idea to use the existing news service for
this... But if we're looking for a very robust mechanism to get
information around when there are many outages, building a network using
dedicated news servers would be a simple and effective way to do it.
Unlike just about anything else, news is truly distributed.

> When we start having weird network conditions, I have learned to
> quickly scan my mailbox for NANOG and Dshield and a few other lists..
> sometimes it helps. E-Mail's great for this. It's there when I need it.

Agree, but the problem is the email service isn't very robust. You could
of course always use a news-to-mail gateway.

> A more robust configuration for the NANOG e-mail list would be my
> first choice. Maybe a backup east/west coast listserv address: nanog@....
> just syncing the mailing list address daily would be enough?

It would probably help, yes.

Iljitsch van Beijnum