RE: red [was Re: Cisco PPP DS-3 limitations - 42.9Mbpbs?]

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Feb 21 17:48:55 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 Brennan_Murphy@NAI.com wrote:
> FTP user really notice if their download starts at
> 160kbs and gyrates around between 30-150kbs..especially
> if they are very large downloads?  But a web page taking
> 12 seconds to load...not good.

It depends on the network owner's priorities.  I've had several
customers which considered web pages very low priority.  A 70-byte
database transaction longer than 2 seconds was considered a catastrophe.
A web page taking 30 seconds wasn't a priority.  I've also had multi-hour
FTP sessions fail due to goofy QOS attempts by networks.  A daily FTP
transfer taking more than 24 hours to complete can be a problem.

How come the psychic hotlines at $4.99/minute aren't the highest priority
calls on the public telephone network?  Why don't telemarketer calls
interrupt your call to grandmother, if telemarketers are willing to pay
more than your grandmother to speak with you.  As the airlines found out
this weekend, QOS can result in inefficient use of resources and longer
lines.