Re: global BGP instability

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Feb 19 10:30:56 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 cowie@renesys.com wrote:
> p.s. By the way, we haven't seen the kind of sustained increase in
> "maintenance cycle" routing instability that we were expecting after
> the SNMP news broke.  Some increase in the background noise, but nothing
> major overall.  Good job, guys :)

Several providers announced scheduled maintenance last week.
UUNET/Worldcom listed 60+ different cities in its maintenance
announcement  for Tuesday 2/19, and more on Thursday.  Abovenet
said they would be upgrading some of their routers on Monday 2/18
and Tuesday 2/19.  Sprint had a few maintenance items scheduled
for Tuesday.  It wouldn't surprise me if other providers had
also scheduled maintenance for Tuesday morning.

There doesn't seem to much variation in the total BGP announcements,
average latency or packet losses, so I don't think it was someone
tickling lots of BGP routers.