Re: WARNING: Whois mining operation (probably spam related).

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Sun Feb 03 05:57:18 2002

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:34:46AM -0600, nanog@adns.net said:

> Starting about 6am eastern time, we began getting several hundred hits per
> second from IP address 195.188.22.6 to our WHOIS server.
>
> It appears that they were running a rather well endowed dictionary against
> the database.
>
> Beware - these are spammers (I know the address very well). Check your logs
> if you have any email servers or whois databases.
>
> This is a jerk from England who is a known fraudster.
====
[sfrancis@silverlight:~]$ whois -r 195.188.22.6
<snip>
descr:        Please forward abuse issues
descr:        to abuse@blueyonder.co.uk
<snip>
====

http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/rules/aup.html

If this guy is obviously spamming, or data mining in preparation for
spamming, it seems that blueyonder.co.uk could be contacted to have his
access yanked. Failing that, cableinet.net could be contacted to have
blueyonder.co.uk yanked.

Of course, you may have already tried this and received little/no
cooperation. *sigh*

--
Scott Francis                   darkuncle@ [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
Systems/Network Manager          sfrancis@ [work:]         t o n o s . c o m