Re: DNS DOS increasing?

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Tue Jan 22 00:54:32 2002

> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:18:10 -0800 (PST)
> From: just me <matt@snark.net>

> Some larger providers already do this on their caching
> servers. It's rather annoying, actually. I don't see anything
> wrong with setting a 10s TTL if I size my bandwidth and server
> capacity accordingly.

That's not the problem.  It's ill-behaved clients that ignore TTL
and query every 10s no matter what.  See some of James Smith's
posts...

If somebody wants to chew their own bandwidth and server
resources and add latency, that's their business.

At the other extreme, we have large providers that ignore TTLs
and refuse to refresh more than once a week no matter what.

> matto

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence