Re: Does NSI's domain update web site ever work?

  • From: Christopher Schulte
  • Date: Tue Jan 08 17:42:12 2002

At 04:17 PM 1/8/2002 -0600, measl@mfn.org wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-1] ¨°şİ[Queen Vamp]İş°¨ wrote:
We went through that last year.  The domain name was > 3 months past
expiration, and I finally called NSI and got kicked up the food chain to
someone "in legal".  I was told that "NSI will not release expired domain
names for other to register unless the name is intentionally transferred by
the [ex] owner of the domain".  And there at lay, until the name we had been
trying for 3 1/2 months to register was mysteriously registered by abovenet.
The only way I've found to reliably get an expired domain was to use the services of snapnames.com. Sure enough, a domain had been expired for months, yet could not be registered. Looking through NSI's site (they didn't respond to email or voice mail) I found this:

http://www.netsol.com/en_US/help/domain-names-reg-09.jhtml

'Many factors may cause the "expiration date" to vary from the eventual date of deletion.'

Could they possibly be more vague?

Snap names was eventually able to secure the domain, but it took a month or two of waiting for it to actually be deleted from NSI's database. Ironic that NSI even pointed right to snapnames when I did the initial registration search? Hmmm... They seem to want a cut of every domain transaction possible.

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson