Re: @Home ordered to shutdown at Midnight

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Fri Nov 30 16:31:52 2001

> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:18:15 -0500 (EST)
> From: Sean Donelan <sean@donelan.com>
> Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu
>

> Judge Thomas Carlson ordered Excite@Home to shutdown as of
> Midnight Eastern time, tonight Friday November 30 2001.
>
> Bondholders are free to negotiate a better offer before
> the shutdown, if they can, to maintain the service.

Odd. The cnet story is in direct conflict with this. It says:

          Judge Thomas Carlson didn't rule on whether the service
          would be shut down, but the cable companies have threatened
          to cut off service if the contracts were terminated. There
          was no immediate word from the cable companies Friday about
          whether they would end service.

          But Carlson said that "flipping the switch and shutting off
          service" was highly unlikely.

The story was posted at 12:35 PT at:
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-8031722.html?tag=lthd

Based on history, I would be prone to believe Sean, but I'm waiting
for more information.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)