Re: win95 and IEAK6.0

  • From: Dave Stewart
  • Date: Wed Nov 21 17:48:54 2001

At 02:51 PM 11/21/2001, Bill Larson wrote:

users they must upgrade their computers to use my service those users will
simply find another internet service.
OK, I don't get this at all.

Why would existing users need to run IE6 at all?

For that matter, why would anyone *need* to run IE6? It's not a terribly complicated matter to create the dialup connection in Win95... geez, how long did most of us go without even the cute wizards?

I do understand that you want to provide a "branded" copy of IE to your users - but I'd guess you've already provided that to your existing users, and frankly, the license notwithstanding, I don't see the software cops comin' down on you because you continue to distribute your old IE5 branded browser to Windows 95 users.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer...

If I were in that situation, I'd do just that - make up the new IE6 for users with machines/operating systems that can handle it, and keep the old IE5 for those who can't.