North American Network Operators Group|
Date Prev | Date Next |
Date Index |
Thread Index |
Author Index |
Re: DNS Host Handles/Registrations
- From: Valdis.Kletnieks
- Date: Sat Nov 10 01:24:22 2001
On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:06:49 PST, Mike Batchelor said:
> --On Wednesday, November 07, 2001 11:56 AM -0800 Randy Bush <email@example.com>
> >> DNS hosts are handled by the registrar for the domain.
> > and then there is the excitement of having a host which serves domains
> > registered with many registrars
> It's the domain of the host, not the hosted domains. If your host is to be
> ns1.foobar.com, you register it via the registrar for foobar.com.
I think what Randy meant was the fun of THIS sort of thing happening:
1) Hosting company registers ns1.big-hosting.com with NetSol.
2) Joe's Bar registers itself with CheapRegister, hosted by (1), so
of course their NS is ns1.big-hosting.com even though they are joes-bar.com
3) Fred's Bowling Alley registers itself with AnotherRegistrar, who is
more picky about the NS records - so they say "ns1.freds-bowling.com" but
give the A record for ns1.big-hosting.com because that's who's actually
4) Now just *try* and change any of this without leaving bits and
pieces of shredded and mangled DNS clue records from here to Zaire.