Re: wireless traffic

  • From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr
  • Date: Fri Nov 09 12:27:29 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Art Houle wrote:
> Does anybody know where I can locate a list of MAC address prefixes that
> belong specifically to wireless NIC cards?  I am looking for a method of
> discovering what devices on my network are wireless devices.

The NetStumbler tool (www.netstumbler.com) appears to have a fairly good
MAC to vendor mapping, and may have helpful information. Their database
shows a full range of MAC addreses, which could give you a starting point.

OTOH, it's easy enough to change MAC addresses - you'd probably be better
off pulling the information from your access point - the lucent gear
certainly allows you to do so, but I can't speak for any others.

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."