Re: IP allocations...

  • From: Mark Prior
  • Date: Sun Nov 04 00:09:00 2001

At 12:45 AM +0000 4/11/01, Joshua Goodall wrote:
On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:24:29AM -0500, Rich Sena wrote:

 What is everyone using for subdelegating IPv4 space internally - looking
 for an *ease of use* tool - something that would require low maintenance
 > and can be delegated to entry-level NOC staff...

I would be cautious about handing your address-space management to
entry-level staff.  It is more than a trivial bookkeeping function.
Institute an auditing/sanity-check process.

I agree. It is not all that difficult to build such a system but making sure the people using it properly understand what information they need from the customer to ensure that the assignment is properly justified is another matter. I don't think this is a task for entry level NOC staff where churn might be high and understanding low. They are probably also not that good at telling the customer no, they are more interested in the customer going away (happy).

Mark.