Re: 214/8 and 215/8

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Nov 01 23:50:44 2001

On Fri, 02 Nov 2001 12:05:14 +1000, Philip Smith said:
> What, in March 1998 when the exchange was made?? Which product for example?
> (It may not have been a Cisco default, but as far as I know everything has
> been classless supporting since at least 1993.)

It wasn't THAT many years ago that the Interop teams had T-shirts that
said "Yes, the subnet mask really IS 255.255.252.0". A co-worker of mine
who was involved wit the NOC team kept telling unhappy people "and next
year the subnet mask will be 255.255.250.0".

Also, remember when DNS came about, and when HOSTS.TXT finally
went away.  The mere fact that Cisco *sold* a router that did
classless right in 1993 doesn't mean there was 100% deployment of
same by 1996, or that it then took another year to renumber, and
then another year to decide it really WAS time to give the old /8s
back....  Change can be quite glacial in some parts of the network.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech