RE: How many ISPs are out there?

  • From: up
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 10:44:25 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> some exceptions <Qwest?>) use BGP either. Then there is the old route
> pre-fixing problem. Not many ISPs, smaller than /19, are going to be doing
> effective ASN's either.

I would take issue with the assertion that you need a /19 or larger to "be
doing effective ASNs".  My understanding is that as long as you get a
block from former class C or "the swamp", you should be visible
everywhere.  We recently requested, and got a /21 from 65/8 from Sprint.
A phone call and some pleading got them to change that to 208.8.16.0/21

AFAIK, that's reachable everywhere from AS19975  If that's *not* correct,
I'd sure like to know...

up@3.am							    http://3.am