Re: X-10 and like behaviour.

  • From: Frank Thomas
  • Date: Thu Jul 19 08:29:42 2001

> > Its probably not a big deal, and if selling bits on the wire makes money
> > "the more the merrier" might be a catch-cry but I wondered if there was
> > a NANOG dimension to these bloody irritating X-10 popups that curse me
> > more and more.
> >
> > Is there some well understood non-edge solution to this kind of crap
> > or do we all wind up rolling our own?
>
> 	Reminds me a lot of the early days of fighting spam...though
> 	a ban on popups has already been mentioned in the US Congress.

Yep, they even have an opt out page.  Although I found this from
another source and no obvious way to this from the frontend of their site.
For what its worth the 'popunders' from x10 are cookie based.  The url
below will opt you out for 10years (leap years figured also).  The week
or so after they started these annoying things I noticed that x10 was one
of the highest traffic sites (I may be wrong) of the week...  I will NEVER
buy anything from them...

http://www.x10.com/home/optout.cgi?DAY=3652GE=http://www.x10.com/x10ads1.htm

Thanks
Frank