Re: whatever happened to RED? (was: Improving Robustness...)

  • From: Simon Leinen
  • Date: Fri Jul 13 10:15:54 2001

> Didn't we have a solution to this problem?  And the UDP flood from
> Real?  And a host of other problems with saturated links?

> My operational issue is: what is the status of RED?  Being small and
> only having cisco and *nix routers, I'd expect it was widely
> deployed.

RED alone doesn't help much against flooding attacks.  You'd need
something like "RED with penalty box" or (flow-based) WFQ, and those
are either in research status or have other fundamental problems.

Don't get me wrong, RED is extremely cool - buy only routers that
support this at line rate, and configure it on any interface where you
expect even a slight chance of congestion.
--
Simon.