RE: Getting an AS and /18

  • From: Andy Ellifson
  • Date: Mon Jul 02 20:54:07 2001

Bob said it better than myself.  I just want help compling with ARIN's
rules and justifications to get some address space for this customer.
When the documentation comes back wanting signed contracts, receipts
for the equipment, SWIP information......... and so on... It seems like
a daunting task.

I nor the customer have never been through this before.  I just wanted
to get input from someone that has gone through it before.  I certainly
wouldn't want ARIN handing out a /18 to a business that will never
utilize it.  I understand why the rules and justifications are in
place.

--- Bob K <melange@yip.org> wrote:

> So re-reading Andy's post, I think people have misread it - he
> doesn't
> appear to be asking for help in circumventing ARIN's procedures, he
> wants
> help in following it, if one notes the actual questions he asks:
>
> > > Does ARIN require a ton of SWIPS be present for the customer
> before
> > > they will issue address space?
>
> > > Does anyone know of a person they can talk to at ARIN to help
> with
> > > this process?
>
> But that's just my take on it.
>
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Daniel Golding wrote:
>

> > I suspect this is a troll. However, I'll take the bait...
> >
> > Why should this organization get any sort of special treatment?
> Because they
> > have been too slack to properly SWIP their blocks? Because they
> don't feel
> > like submitting the proper documentation?
> >
> > You posit that the customer genuinely needs the address space. How
> do we, as
> > an Internet community discover that? The only way is documentation.
> >
> > I find it rather hard to believe that an organization without an
> AS,
> > qualifies for a /18, based on the published criteria - they did
> take the
> > time to read those, right?
> >
> > Andy, you request help to circumvent a process that is far from
> perfect, yet
> > is our best hedge against the unscrupulous. I suppose the best
> advise for
> > them is to hire a consultant who is fully conversant in the
> procedures for
> > obtaining address spaces and an AS number. That's their best bet.
> >
> > - Daniel Golding

=====
Andy Ellifson